You are welcome to also join our Mailing List to be notified of any updates: https://icg669.com/trainees/trainee-waiting-list
Vancouver is the epicentre for the film industry in British Columbia. Trainees have been on productions from The X-Files, to Deadpool 2. B.C. is home to 40 per cent of Canada’s film and television production.
The Vancouver Camera Trainee Program is currently closed for applications, but please check back to this page for future announcements. In the meantime, check out the website for requirements to get your career in the film industry started.
Make sure you check out our Minimum Requirements section to make sure you qualify to submit your application to ICG 669 once the program opens for applications.
FILM INDUSTRY REALITY CHECK
Make sure you check out our Film Industry Reality Check section to make sure you are fully aware of how demanding the film industry can be as a career.
Complete applications must be compiled in the following order:
- Completed application form;
- Letter of Intent, addressed to the attention of the Trainee Committee;
- Resume must follow this word document format: Resume Template;
- Minimum (3) reference letters;
- Photocopies of the mandatory course certificates (or registered date of courses. Please Note: Applicants who intend to work to in BC must also complete the “Motion Picture Safety 101 - General Safety Awareness (MPGSA)” through Actsafe, as this is mandatory for any individuals working under the BCCFU Master Agreement, and;
- Photocopy of valid driver’s license and proof of vehicle registration and insurance.
CAMERA TRAINEE PROGRAM TIMELINE
Please see our Timeline of Application page on how long a typical application process is.
- Motion Picture Industry Orientation Program ($75)
Developed in partnership with film industry unions and guilds, this 1 to 2 day course provides you with the information you need to know before you go on set. This course can be taken at one of the following institutions:
Capilano University Continuing Studies: Phone 604-984-4901 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please visit their website: https://csee.capilanou.ca/continuing-studies/motion-picture-industry-orientation/
Langara College: Call 604-323-5322 for the most up-to-date information about upcoming course dates or visit the Langara website under Digital Film Production Certificate (Part-Time), FILM 1009 - https://langara.ca/continuing-studies/programs-and-courses/programs/digital-film-production/courses.html
InFocus Film School: https://infocusfilmschool.com/motion-picture-industry-orientation/
Vancouver Film School: Offered 6 times per year. Check their website https://vfs.edu/programs/motion-picture-orientation to register or call 604-631-3086 for inquiries.
- Motion Picture Safety 101 - General Safety Awareness (MPGSA) - (FREE)
Online course available to take here: https://www.actsafe.ca/courses/motion-picture-safety-awareness/
- WHMIS (Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System) - ($30)
This course is a federal requirement for the film industry, and is available online at http://www.virtualwhmis.com/ or at https://www.actsafe.ca/courses-certifications/
If you have questions regarding the Vancouver Camera Trainee Program, or would like to discuss your application, please schedule an appointment with Kat Yee by email (email@example.com) or phone (778-330-1674).